In the state of Virginia, if you have been charged or convicted of a DUI, it becomes a matter of public record. Information about your arrest and conviction will stay around forever, and it will appear on routine background checks conducted by:
- University admissions departments
- Potential employers, especially for jobs working with children, elderly people, or disabled individuals
- Non-profit organizations seeking volunteers
- Landlords and other leasing agents
- Lenders, including banks and credit card companies
- Professional licensing organizations
Depending on the situation, having a DUI on your record in Virginia can be very damaging and limit your opportunities. It can even affect your ability to get a job and provide for your family.
Expungement Is an Option in Some DUI Cases
Expungement is the process of getting a criminal charge or conviction erased from your record. This means that police and court records related to the DUI will be permanently sealed and shielded from public access (including background checks). After expungement, the only way someone can gain access to the information is by Court Order.
If you are convicted of a DUI in some states, you can take steps to have your record expunged after a specific length of time has passed. In Virginia, however, your eligibility for expungement after a DUI charge is severely limited. If you pled guilty to a DUI charge or were convicted of DUI, you are not eligible to seek expungement in Virginia. You may only seek to expunge your record under the following circumstances:
- The DUI charges against you were dropped
- The DUI case against you was dismissed
- You were found not guilty of a DUI
The stakes are high after a DUI arrest in Virginia. Whether you are interested in pursuing expungement for a prior DUI arrest or you have recently been arrested on suspicion of a DUI, experienced criminal defense attorney Charles V. Hardenbergh can help you achieve the best possible outcome for your unique situation. Are you ready to get started? Contact our office, or start a live chat with us now.